Father of 5-year-old detained in Minnesota disputes government assertion he abandoned the boy

2 weeks ago 3

By MIKE CATALINI, STEVE KARNOWSKI and SHARON LURYE, Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The father of a 5-year-old boy who was detained by immigration officers and held at a federal facility in Texas denied government accounts Monday that he abandoned his son last month while being pursued by authorities.

As the pair returned to Minnesota, Adrian Conejo Arias, who is originally from Ecuador, told ABC News that he loves his son, Liam, and would never abandon him, disputing statements from the Department of Homeland Security, which alleged that Arias had left his child in a vehicle. He also said his son got sick while in federal custody but was denied medicine.

Assistant Homeland Security Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in a statement that Arias fled on foot before he was arrested, “abandoning his child.” She said Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers stayed with the boy.

“The facts in this case have NOT changed: The father who was illegally in the country chose to take his child with him to a detention center,” she said.

McLaughlin did not address Arias’ statement that his son...

Read Entire Article