Three San Diego City Council members proposed Tuesday suspending paid parking in Balboa Park for city residents but continuing to charge non-residents — and they said their proposal will be voted on Feb. 9.
While three votes on the nine-member council is not enough to make a policy change, it’s expected the proposal will get additional votes from three council members who’ve long opposed any parking fees in the park.
The City Council took a separate action Tuesday to essentially cancel a months-old plan to extend parking meter enforcement to Sundays across the city. That enforcement had been scheduled to start in April.
Shrinking Balboa Park parking fees to non-residents only and eliminating plans for Sunday meter enforcement will widen an already large budget deficit for the cash-strapped city by several million dollars.
Council President Joe LaCava said Tuesday that he expects the city to be forced to make emergency mid-year budget cuts as revenues continue to dip and expenses keep rising.
Mayor Todd Gloria, who has pushed back against criticism of paid parking in Balboa Park, said Tuesday he’s ready to work with the council on cuts to help fill gaps created by their new retreats on parking revenue.
Some critics on social media called Tuesday’s proposed Balboa ...

3 weeks ago
19













English (US) ·